The making of pianos.
|Historic area of significance|
|Area currently practised||Yorkshire|
|Origin in the UK|
|Current no. of professionals (main income)||6-10 in one business (see ‘Craftspeople currently known’ for further details)
1 piano hammer manufacturer
|Current no. of professionals (sideline to main income)
|Current no. of trainees||1|
|Current total no. serious amateur makers
|Current total no. of leisure makers
|Minimum no. of craftspeople required|
There is a tradition of piano making in Britain which stretches back over 200 years. Many of history’s greatest composers owned and played British pianos: Chopin, Liszt, J C Bach among many others. In the ‘golden age of piano making’ Britain boasted 360 piano makers at the turn of the century which supplied the entire globe. Sadly, this great industry has now all but disappeared from our shores.
Notably in April 2003 The British Piano Manufacturing Co. and in October 2009 Kemble Pianos closed their gates for the last time. Cavendish Pianos, based in Yorkshire, are resurrecting the lost art of piano making in Britain through the creation of a Craftsman’s Co-operative. Thus, rather than being produced in one factory, Cavendish Pianos are made by a series of small businesses each with their own speciality, including piano builders, action specialists, stringers, cabinet-makers, polishers, and piano tuners.
Piano hammer manufacturing and recovering became extinct in the UK about 15-10 years ago. After much research, Robert Fielder of Anglia Pianos has relearnt the skills and methods.
- Piano hammer manufacturing and recovering
Issues affecting the viability of the craft
- Lack of equipment and tools; these often have to be made or adapted to suit
- Some raw materials are not available within the UK. For example, piano hammer felt has to be imported.
Craftspeople currently known
- Cavendish Pianos – based in Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire. 8 craftspeople, including three technicians, a piano designer, a cabinet maker, a furniture maker, a string maker and one apprentice (the piano retailer Yorkshire Pianos Ltd. is home to the manufacturing premises of Cavendish Pianos).
- Robert Fielder, Anglia Piano Services – makes and covers piano hammers