Heritage Crafts is teaming up with Satchel to showcase some of the nation’s most creative careers.
In this free online workshop we will introduce students to two inspiring craftspeople who will speak about their own journey with craft, and how they have made the best use of social media and video to promote their work.
Denzel Currie is a Streetwear artist who uses the craft skills of rug tufting, hand painting and video to tell stories and create high-end streetwear. Maisie Jackson is a fore-edge painter who creates amazing works of art on the pages of books. Her videos on Tiktok have been viewed by millions while her work often sells out in minutes through her Etsy shop.
Join Heritage Crafts, Denzel and Maisie online to explore how to progress a career in crafts.
- 5 July 2022, 1.30pm to 2.30pm (school slot – ask your teacher to register your class) – BOOKING CLOSED
- 7 July 2022, 2.30pm to 3.30pm (school slot – ask your teacher to register your class) – register here
- 13 July 2022, 5pm to 6pm (after school slot – students free to join from home) – register here
Creation of tufted rugs using a powered hand tool, and also carving relief patterns on the rug surface.
|Historic area of significance
|Yorkshire / West Coast of Scotland
|Area currently practised
|Origin in the UK
Rug tufting was first introduced with the development of the tufting gun in the 1960s-70s. The technology has not changed since then.
Rug tufting is a creative and flexible medium that allows for the creation of a wide variety of images. Rug tufting is gaining in popularity and has seen a surge of interest fuelled by social media and TikTok. There are more artists using the medium and many hobbyists taking up the craft.
Drawing the designs, using the gun to ensure the correct pile height/ density of stitching is achieved, cutting down and finishing and carving the rug.
See www.turnberryrugworks.com for a video of the operation
Issues affecting the viability of the craft
- Sourcing raw materials: Difficulty in sourcing yarn
- Market issues: Overseas price competition
- Business issues: Making a sufficient margin to be able to extend marketing activities
Craftspeople currently known
- Area Rugs and Carpets
- Unique Rugs and Carpets
- Turnberry Carpets
- Dovecot Studios
- Hoxa Tapestry
- Helen Yardley
- Caroline Acaintre
- Christine Crofts
- The Woolly Rug Co. Ltd.
The availability of cheaper tufting guns from China has meant that more learners are picking up the craft. There a number of educational establishment who are teaching the skills or have the equipment available for students.
- Goldsmiths University
- London Metropolitan University
- Salford University
- Birmingham City University
- Central Lancashire University
- Wolverhampton University
- Staffordshire University
- University of Plymouth
- University of Huddersfield