- Saturday 24 March 2018
- Royal Society of Medicine, Wimpole Street, London
We are pleased to announce that HCA Patron and ceramics producer Emma Bridgewater will be amongst our keynote speakers at our 2018 conference Crafts for the Future. After lunch we will be celebrating the winners and runners up of this year’s Heritage Crafts Awards sponsored by QEST, The Arts Society and the Marsh Christian Trust. In the afternoon session we’ll be hearing from selected makers on the HCA/Radcliffe Red List of Endangered Crafts.
- Emma Bridgewater, ceramics producer and HCA Patron
- Sam Walton, Hole & Corner magazine
- Paul Martin, TV presenter and HCA Patron
Afternoon speakers from the HCA Radcliffe Red List critically endangered category:
- Martin Frost, fore-edge painter
- Kate Hetherington, horse collar maker
- Wim Visscher, parchmenter
- Jojo Wood, apprentice clog maker and wood worker
- Jacob Moss, curator of the Fan Museum
The HCA has been awarded a grant from the Ernest Cook Trust to pilot a new programme of pre-apprenticeships in countryside crafts in West Somerset.
Three craftspeople will be selected to each take on three young people over the course of six weeks to get a taste of what it would be like to have a career in heritage crafts. This project will compensate the craftspeople fairly for their time, as well as providing the students with a transferable basic-level NVQ qualification in employability skills.
The programme will provide a framework for more accredited pre-apprenticeships and full apprenticeships in heritage crafts in the South West and the rest of the UK.
January 2017 update:
Three crafts practitioners have been selected to host the nine pre-apprentices. They are:
- Jim Patterson – papermaker
- Sarah Webb – basketmaker
- Stefan Jennings – green woodworker
SEPE accreditation training, provided by Superact CIC, is taking place on 15 February 2017, with pre-apprenticeships commencing shortly thereafter. There are still training places available for young people between 16 and 21 – click here for more details.